Approved for Nurses Continuing Education. “Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15854."
Fast Track Program for Bilignual Nurses: Online, Convenient, and 24-7 access.
The Culture Advantage Center for patient-centered, provider-managed, interpreter-facilitated human communication. ©
We prepare interpreters to function as members of the healthcare team. From experience we know healthcare, and we know interpreting. Quality language access is critical for both patients and healthcare providers, with professional interpreting services necessary for clinical and procedural accuracy. Meet the Culture Advantage Team.
Medical Interpreter Certificate for Bilingual Nurses
Fast Track Online Program - 40 Contact Hours CNE [Open Enrollment]
Target Audience: RNs, LPNs, ARNPs
(Group discount available for organizations)
Are you a bilingual healthcare professional who sometimes works or "doubles" as a medical interpreter?
Protect yourself, your patients, and your organization. Medical interpreter training is required by the CLAS standards. Being bilingual is not enough qualification to practice as an interpreter. This program will prepare you with the knowledge of the standards, ethics, and roles of the interpreter and so you can confidently interpret in your organization. In addition, you may choose the Mentor Track and take additional elective courses to prepare for mentoring medical interpreting students in the Culture Advantage Program.
The program is instructor-led, asynchronous independent-study online training. It is designed to be convenient and flexible to meet the needs of professionals who work full-time. We have open enrollment and you may log in at any time. We give you credit for your healthcare education and experience. You will work one-on-one with another healthcare professional who will give you individual feedback on your written and oral assignments and interpreting skills.
Contact me for up to 30% discount with the completion of a professional-level project in your language pair, if you meet the qualifications.
Nurses will receive continuing nursing education credits after completion of the program. Please contact me for details.
Contact me with any questions.
- Fluency in English and second language (L2) (Contact me for specific requirements).
- At least a bachelor's degree in your healthcare profession, or license or certificate to practice.
- Pass the Culture Advantage Screening Test with at least 90% grade.
- Phone interview with the director and/or medical mentor.
- Fast Track Assignments in your language-pair.
- Standards of Medical Interpreting
- Ethics for Medical Interpreters
- Roles of the Medical Interpreter
- Integrated Skills: Consecutive Interpreting, Sight Translation, Managing the Communication Process, Working with Interpreters
- At least 2 electives: Cultural Competency, Understanding the Hispanic Population, Cultural Awareness, etc.
- Statement of application of concepts to professional nursing
- Final Oral Skills Evaluation
Program is customized based on your education and healthcare experience.
Must demonstrate language proficiency with a language project in English and L2 before proceeding to the course modules.
If you need a language refresher in your L2, please ask about our Language Packs in different languages.
Language Coaching is available in other languages, including American English Pronunciation of medical terminology for foreign-language speakers.